Thursday, June 11, 2009

This garden goes to 11!

One of my favorite scenes from a movie is out of Spinal Tap (yes I know this dates me). It's where they are standing by the food table and one of them says, while inspecting the food, "Look, look at these olives. This one has a little friend, but in this one there's nobody home! And look at these little sandwiches. I mean, how do they get the meat on there? You just have to keep folding and folding and folding, I don't think it ever ends." I feel that way about the rain these days, it just keeps raining and raining and raining. And I'm convinced it may never stop.

As a result, our season is behind by at least 2 weeks. Our radishes and beets that we planted in early May are failing miserably. The ones we succession planted last week are, however, doing marvelously. They think it's spring, even though it should be summer. I suppose I should be glad that they are growing well, but I am instead very frustrated. We now have to replant whole beds of arugula, carrots, beets, carrots and even some tomatoes. Errr. The beans and peas though, they love it. So up they grow, they're even starting to flower! And our corn is popping up. A beautiful circle of Bantam Gold. I love spring. Even if it's supposed be summer.




















This post comes with a few extraneous photos from the neighborhood around us. The peonies were just too gorgeous, I had to take some up close shots of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment